War in Ukraine Live: In the aftermath of the deadly helicopter crash in kyiv, Ukrainian security services are investigating three leads
Cover image: Efrem Lukatsky/AP
- Ukrainian Interior Minister Denys Monastyrsky was killed on Wednesday January 18 near kyiv in the crash of his helicopter. The aircraft, a Super Puma EC-225 (Airbus Helicopters), crashed in Brovary, for a reason still unknown.
- According to the State Service for Emergency Situations (SES), to which the helicopter belonged, nine people were on board, including the minister, his deputy, Yevgeni Yenin and the Secretary of State for the Interior, Yuri Lubkovych. According to a latest report, 14 people died including a child, and 25 injured are hospitalized, including 11 children.
- “The Security Service of Ukraine has opened a criminal investigation into this terrible event”Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said in a speech on Wednesday evening, in order to “to clarify all the circumstances of the disaster”.
- At the World Economic Forum in Davos (Switzerland), the Ukrainian President launched by videoconference a “call for speed” in decision-making to help Ukraine equip itself with heavy weapons. Germany in particular is reluctant to authorize the delivery of Leopard tanks to the country.
- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg assured that the member countries of his organization would supply kyiv with weapons “heavier and more modern”.
- On the other hand, the United States is not ready to give Ukraine its most advanced heavy tanks, the Abramsa senior Pentagon official said on Wednesday, justifying the refusal with maintenance and training issues.
- The contact group for Ukraine, which brings together some fifty countries led by the United States, meets on Friday to the US base at Ramstein in Germany to coordinate continued aid to kyiv.
- On the Russian side, President Vladimir Putin assured Wednesday that he had ” no doubt “ on his victorynearly a year after the start of the operation, and maintained that Russia was facing a “neo-Nazi regime” in Ukraine.
- His foreign minister, Sergei Lavrov, went further, comparing the actions of Westerners against his country to the ” final solution “ of the Nazi regime to exterminate the Jews.
Find our live yesterday by clicking on this link.
Read all our articles, analyzes and reports on the war in Ukraine
Factual. In Ukraine, an investigation opened after the death of the Minister of the Interior in a helicopter crash
Portrait. In Berlin, a new surprise defense minister to decide on aid to kyiv
In images, in pictures. In Dnipro, Ukraine, life suspended in the ruins after a Russian bombardment
Testimonials. “I don’t understand why Russia was able to participate in the Miss Universe pageant. She doesn’t look embarrassed, “Miss Genocide 2023”, with her Russian Empire style dress and blood red cape »
Chronic. “Germany holds the key to the accelerator of Western military aid to Ukraine, at a strategic time when this assistance must intensify”
Video. The European Union denounces a ” war crime “ Russian in Dnipro
Decryptions. What we know about Andrei Medvedev, the Russian deserter from the Wagner Group who fled to Norway
Podcast. Vladimir Putin and the Winter Strategy
Interview. Andriy Yermak, Volodymyr Zelensky’s right-hand man: “It is the Battle of Verdun of the 21st century that is taking place right now”
Factual. The responses of ” World “ to your most frequently asked questions