Russia has again accused Ukraine of shelling its border areas. Two women were killed in the Belgorod region, Governor Gladkov said. More night attacks by the Russian army were reported from Kiev.
According to the governor, two women were killed by shelling in the Russian region of Belgorod, which borders Ukraine. The two were driving in their car not far from the city of Shebekino when fragments of grenades hit their vehicle, Vyacheslav Gladkov wrote on Telegram. Two other people were also injured. Gladkov blamed the Ukrainian army for the attacks. This cannot be verified independently.
Attacks with drones and explosions had previously also been reported in the Kursk, Bryansk, Smolensk and Kaluga regions. An anti-aircraft system shot down the missiles near Kursk, regional governor Roman Starowoit said on Twitter. He called on residents to keep calm: “The city is under the reliable protection of our army,” wrote the governor. According to authorities, several buildings in Kursk were damaged.
conflicting parties as a source
Information on the course of the war, shelling and casualties provided by official bodies of the Russian and Ukrainian conflict parties cannot be directly checked by an independent body in the current situation.
Russian nationalists side with Ukraine
Ukraine denies attacking Russian territory. She explained that Russian volunteer corps were behind it. Two paramilitary Russian volunteer battalions have repeatedly claimed responsibility for such attacks. The groups called “Russian Volunteer Corps” and “Legion Freedom of Russia” are currently fighting on the side of Ukraine, but they are made up of Russian nationalists.
On Thursday, the Russian army said it repelled an attempted “invasion” by Ukrainian units with the help of artillery and fighter jets. In the face of intensified attacks on the border region, residents fled the attacked areas and were housed in temporary shelters.
Again attacks on Kyiv
In the Ukrainian capital of Kiev, the wave of attacks continued into the night. The Ukrainian Air Force said 15 missiles and 21 drones were shot down. Apparently no one was injured in the city itself. Falling debris injured two people outside of the city, local authorities said.
There have been around 20 attacks on Kiev since early May. The Ukrainian government assumes that this is intended to disrupt preparations for a large-scale counteroffensive.