After the deadly attack in Jerusalem on Friday evening, Israeli security forces sealed the assassin’s house. The measure is part of the new anti-terror rules, which also target families of attackers.
On Sunday night, Israeli security forces sealed the house of a Palestinian assassin who killed seven people in East Jerusalem on Friday evening. A decision by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s security cabinet was implemented immediately.
The 21-year-old assassin was shot dead by police at the scene. He had opened fire on people who had come out of a synagogue after prayer. His home is in the A-Tur neighborhood in the Arab-dominated east of Jerusalem. After the attack, the police arrested more than 40 people close to the Palestinian.
Residences of assassins are to be destroyed
The Netanyahu government passed a series of new anti-terror regulations on Saturday evening “so that terrorists and their supporters pay a price.” Accordingly, the place of residence of an assassin should be sealed in the future and then destroyed. Israel also wants to deprive relatives of assassins who support terror of social rights. In addition, a new law is under discussion, according to which relatives of assassins with Israeli ID cards should be confiscated.
It was initially unclear whether and how exactly it should be checked whether someone is a terrorist supporter. Israelis should also get easier licenses for firearms.
Tense situation in Israel after attacks
Sophie von der Tann, ARD Tel Aviv, daily topics 11:25 p.m., January 28, 2023
Netanyahu government under pressure
Prime Minister Netanyahu had previously announced decisive action after two attacks within 24 hours. His ultra-right government is in conflict for a tough course, he said ARD correspondent Sophie von der Tann. She defines herself through security and is now under pressure to a certain extent.
On Saturday, a 13-year-old man shot and wounded two men in an attack on settlers in the East Jerusalem district of Silwan. Armed passers-by shot the boy, who was then given medical attention. Media reported that he was Palestinian.
Further attempts to attack at Nablus and Jericho
On Saturday evening there were said to have been two new attempts to attack Israelis in the West Bank: according to the army, security guards prevented an attack in the settlement of Kedumim west of the city of Nablus. They would have discovered and “neutralized” the “terrorist”. It was initially unclear whether the attacker was dead.
Another man fired a shot at a restaurant near the city of Jericho and fled the scene, according to the Israeli military. Media reported that he had problems with his gun. This may have prevented further shots – and victims.