Latest World News

Young worker’s heartbreaking final text to dad after fatal bottle shop stabbing


The harrowing final words of a young worker who was stabbed to death while working at a drive-through bottle shop in Darwin have been revealed.

NT Police said the young man was fatally assaulted with a knife about 9pm on Sunday while on shift at The Airport Tavern’s BWS store on McMillians Road, Jingili.

WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE: Young worker fatally stabbed at BWS in Darwin.

Watch the latest news and stream for free on 7plus >>

“I love you Dad, I have just been stabbed,” he told his father, texting him after the incident.

His father told Darwin radio station Mix FM his son was working at the bottle shop while studying and was planning to find another job. NT Police initially reported he was 19 years old; however, his father has since clarified he was 20.

“He’s a wonderful, opinionated, strong lad,” the father told the radio show.

“A typical 20-year-old. He’s only been up in the Territory the last two years.

“He’s from Queensland and Cairns before that.

“He loved his football, and he was really into music at the moment. He was trying to get some songs released and working 30-odd hours at the BWS at the airport.”

The 20-year-old was working at the BWS drive-through bottle shop at The Airport Tavern in Darwin when he was attacked. Credit: 7NEWS

However, the victim’s father added his son had previously experienced other violent behaviours in his workplace.

“He’s had a screwdriver pulled on him only a few weeks ago,” he said.

Meanwhile, major crime police arrested a 19-year-old man over the incident on Monday morning.

He remains in police custody and is expected to be charged later in the day.

Endeavour Group, which owns The Airport Tavern, issued a statement on the death on Monday saying counselling and support will be offered to all staff and the victim’s family.

“Endeavour Group can confirm that, following a serious incident last night at BWS Drive Through Bottle Shop at The Airport Tavern in Darwin, a team member has tragically passed away,” CEO Steve Donohue said.

‍”Despite best efforts to revive the team member, he died at the scene.

‍”Our thoughts are with the team member’s family, friends and loved ones.

“We thank the emergency service workers who attended the scene.

“The incident is now being investigated by NT Police.”

If you’d like to view this content, please adjust your .

To find out more about how we use cookies, please see our Cookie Guide.

Source: 7News