The updated Mazda 2 range has been detailed as orders open for the little hatch and sedan, ahead of first deliveries in July.
In addition to having a fresh new look, the Mazda 2 is also more efficient for 2023.
All automatic models use 5.0L/100km on the combined cycle, although they’ve lost 1kW of power and 2Nm of torque.
For more Motoring related news and videos check out Motoring >>
The manual G15 Pure’s outputs are unchanged.
All models get a redesigned front bumper and a new black or body-colour grille, with hatchback models getting a refreshed rear bumper, too.
There’s also a colour accent on the front grille and rear bumper, similar to what’s currently available on CX-5 Touring Active and GT SP variants, while Aero Grey and Airstream Blue exterior finishes join the colour palette.
The entry-level Pure and Pure SP variants are available with coloured dash trim finishes in Pure White, Mirror Black or Mint, depending on the external paint colour. The Pure SP also adds a black film on the roof.
Inside, the Evolve and GT variants have a black interior with red highlights on the seat stitching and air vent surrounds.
The flagship GT also has partial leather seats, a red and black dash, aero-inspired multi-spoke alloy wheels, and polished dual exhaust tips.
All models besides the entry-level Pure now come equipped with a shark fin antenna, rather than a traditional unit.
This is the second facelift for the current-generation Mazda 2, which first launched back in 2014.
Last year, the Mazda 2 was the third best-selling light car in Australia with 5146 sales.
- 2023 Mazda 2 Pure hatch manual: $22,290 (+$780)
- 2023 Mazda 2 Pure hatch auto: $24,290 (+$780)
- 2023 Mazda 2 Pure sedan auto: $24,290 (+$780)
- 2023 Mazda 2 Pure SP hatch auto: $25,090 (+$1080)
- 2023 Mazda 2 Evolve hatch auto: $25,790 (+$680)
- 2023 Mazda 2 GT hatch auto: $27,490 (+$880)
- 2023 Mazda 2 GT sedan auto: $27,490 (+$880)
All prices exclude on-road costs.
The Mazda 2 uses a naturally aspirated 1.5-litre four-cylinder engine producing 81kW of power and 142Nm (82kW/144Nm in the Pure manual).
It’s mated with either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission.
All models have automatic stop/start.
All Mazda 2 models use 5.0L/100km on the ADR combined cycle (5.4L/100km with the manual), feature a 44L fuel tank, and run on 91RON regular unleaded fuel.
The Mazda 2 hatch measures 4085mm long, 1695mm wide (excluding mirrors) and 1495mm tall on a 2570mm wheelbase.
The Mazda 2 sedan measures 4360mm long, 1695mm wide and 1470mm tall on a 2570mm wheelbase.
The hatch has 250L of boot space, the sedan 440L.
Servicing and Warranty
The Mazda 2 is backed by a five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty.
Servicing is required every 12 months or 15,000km, with the first five services capped at $334, $526, $396, $526 and $334.
The Mazda 2 had a five-star rating from ANCAP, but as this was based on testing conducted in 2015 it has now expired.
All models come standard with the following equipment:
- Autonomous emergency braking (forward and reverse)
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Lane-keep assist
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Rear parking sensors
- Reversing camera
G15 Evolve and above get traffic sign recognition, while the G15 GT gains a surround-view camera, front parking sensors, and adaptive cruise control.
The Mazda 2 is available in four trim levels.
The G15 Pure sedan and hatch come standard with the following equipment:
- 15-inch alloy wheels
- Power-folding exterior mirrors
- LED headlights
- Automatic headlights (NEW)
- Rain-sensing wipers
- 7.0-inch infotainment screen
- Wireless Apple CarPlay (NEW)
- Wired Android Auto
- DAB+ digital radio
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Leather-wrapped shifter and handbrake
- Tilt and telescopic steering wheel adjustment
- Six-speaker sound system
- Keyless start
- Power windows
- 1 x 12V outlet
- 2 x USB outlet
The G15 Pure SP hatch adds:
- 16-inch black-finish alloy wheels
- Carbon fibre-style roof (NEW)
- Shark fin antenna (NEW)
- Chrome exhaust extension (NEW)
- Black exterior mirrors
Over the G15 Pure, the G15 Evolve hatch adds:
- 16-inch alloy wheels
- Black mesh-style grille (NEW)
- LED daytime running lights
- Climate control air-conditioning
- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror (NEW)
- Colour head-up display
- Satellite navigation
- Red stitching details (NEW)
- Traffic sign recognition
The G15 GT hatch and sedan add:
- Keyless entry
- Black leather/Grand Luxe suede upholstery with red highlights (NEW)
- Front parking sensors
- Surround-view camera
- Adaptive cruise control
The Mazda 2 is available in the following colours:
- Aero Grey Metallic (NEW)
- Airstream Blue Metallic (NEW)
- Snowflake White Pearl Mica
- Aluminium Metallic
- Jet Black Mica (excludes Pure SP)
- Platinum Quartz Metallic
- Aero Grey Metallic
The following finishes cost an extra $595:
- Machine Grey Metallic
- Polymetal Grey Metallic
- Soul Red Crystal Metallic
All models have a black interior. The Pure and Pure SP are available with Pure White, Mirror Black or Mint dash trim, depending on the exterior colour.
MORE: Everything Mazda 2